Philadelphia Legal Assistance is able to refer certain divorce cases to Philadelphia VIP, our pro bono partner agency. If we refer your case, Philadelphia VIP will try to find a private attorney to handle your divorce case. We may be able to refer your case if the following things are true:

  • You and your spouse have no assets to divide;
  • You know where your spouse lives;
  • Either you have been separated from your spouse for at least one year, or both of you want to be divorced.

In addition, if you want to claim alimony, you or your spouse bought property while you were married, you own property together or either of you has a pension or retirement plan, we cannot refer your case at this time.  We hope to be able to refer cases where property needs to be divided some time in the future.

If you wish to speak to a private attorney about divorce, you may contact the Lawyer Referral and Information Service of the Philadelphia Bar Association at 215-238-6333. They can arrange an attorney consultation for a small fee.

If you have a divorce case where no property needs to be divided, you know where your spouse lives, and you have been separated for a year or your spouse will agree to the divorce, you can apply for legal assistance at apply on-line.  PLA does not accept applications for assistance with divorce through walk-in intake or telephone intake.

Self-Help Resources

Getting a Divorce in Philadelphia during COVID-19 Shutdowns

This is a self-help guide for Philadelphia residents seeking a divorce during COVID-19 shutdowns.

Divorce in Philadelphia County

This brochure explains how to file for divorce in Philadelphia.

Family law resources from PALawHelp.org

PALawHelp.org offers self-help forms and information on a variety of family law topics, including document assembly interviews that allow you to create legal documents on-line.  Some of the document assembly interviews were developed by PLA.