PLA helps clients with a variety of homeownership problems.

For example, many people in Philadelphia live in homes they inherited from deceased family members.  If their name is not on the deed, however, this can lead to problems.  PLA can help clients work through the probate process and prepare and file a deed with the Philadelphia Department of Records.  We also help homeowners who are having trouble paying real estate taxes.

How to get help with Homeownership

The following departments at PLA provide legal assistance with Homeownership:

Intake Procedure:

Applicants need to call the Save Your Home Philly Hotline.

Intake Procedure:

Call 215-334-HOME (4663) between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Outside of PLA's normal business hours, callers may leave a message.

Applicants may also apply online.

Self-Help Resources

Debt Defense Self-Help

These videos were produced by the National Association of Consumer Advocates.

Application for Owner Occupied Payment Agreement

If you are behind on your real estate taxes, you may be eligible for an Owner Occupied Payment Agreement that will lower your payment for back taxes.  This is the application form.

Housing Counseling Agencies

The Save Your Home Philly Hotline refers callers to one of several housing counseling organizations in Philadelphia.  This is a list of those organizations, with addresses and phone numbers.


Amanda Grolig - Paralegal
Darline Justinvil - Paralegal
Jasper Katz - Attorney
Jane Nylund - Attorney
Madeline Pieretti - Paralegal
Margaret Robinson - Attorney

Margaret Robinson supervises the Save Your Home Philly Hotline.

Joyce Smith - Paralegal
Emeli Torres - Paralegal
Irwin Trauss - Attorney

Irwin Trauss is the Supervising Attorney of the Consumer Housing Unit.

Joanne Werdel - Attorney