Food Stamps

PLA helps clients get and keep benefits from the Supplemental Nutrtition Assistance Program, also known as Food Stamps.

How to get help with Food Stamps

The following departments at PLA provide legal assistance with Food Stamps:

Intake Procedure:

Applicants may call the telephone intake line, except that applicants whose legal problem is SSI need to apply through Community Legal Services (CLS).  For the intake hours at CLS, see the SSI page of CLS's web site.

Applicants may also apply online (for legal problems other than SSI).

Self-Help Resources

Assistance with applying for public benefits, UC, and EITC

If you need help applying for public benefits, unemployment compensation, or the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), free help is available from the City of Philadelphia.  You can get one-on-one counseling from BenePhilly over the phone or in person.

The toll-free number for BenePhilly is 844-848-4376.  You can also walk in to one of six BenePhilly Centers.


COMPASS is a web site provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services to allow Pennsylvanians to apply for public benefits on-line.


Kathleen Taintor - Paralegal