For clients who need to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, PLA's General Intake Unit provides referrals to the Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project.

For clients who need to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy, PLA's Consumer Housing Unit represents homeowners who need to file bankruptcy to save their homes.

If you are not sure whether you need to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy or a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, please call our general intake line.

If you need to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you may be able to file your bankruptcy through UpsolveUpsolve is a national non-profit that helps people file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy at no cost.  Read about whether Chapter 7 bankruptcy is right for you and visit Upsolve's web site to see if you qualify.

How to get help with Bankruptcy

The following departments at PLA provide legal assistance with Bankruptcy:

Intake Procedure:

Applicants may apply for assistance from the General Intake Unit by calling the telephone intake line or applying online.

Intake Procedure:

Applicants need to call the Save Your Home Philly Hotline.

Self-Help Resources

Debt Defense Self-Help

These videos were produced by the National Association of Consumer Advocates.

How to file a complaint

To file a complaint with the government about any financial services company (credit card company, bank, lender, financing company), go to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaint page.

You can also file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General about a company that has caused you harm.

Coping with Debt

Click here for information about debt relief, debt consolidation, and other debt-related issues.

Dealing with debt collectors

Click here for assistance with handling debt collectors.

Obtain a free credit report

You can obtain a copy of your credit report at no charge at This is the government-approved web site for obtaining free credit reports. ("Free" really means free, although you are limited to three free credit reports per year.)

Information about filing for Bankruptcy

If you are thinking about filing for bankruptcy, you should read's Guide To Bankruptcy.

To learn about the pros and cons of filing bankruptcy, and learn the difference between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy, read the bankruptcy guide prepared by Community Legal Services.


Jasper Katz - Attorney
Jane Nylund - Attorney
Margaret Robinson - Attorney

Margaret Robinson supervises the Save Your Home Philly Hotline.

Irwin Trauss - Attorney

Irwin Trauss is the Supervising Attorney of the Consumer Housing Unit.

Joanne Werdel - Attorney