If you have a child and you plan to move to another place, you may need to get the Family Court's permission first.

Under Pennsylvania custody law, you need to send a Notice of Relocation to the other parent if your planned move would make it more difficult for the other parent to see the child.  You need to do this whether there is a custody order or not.  The other parent will then have the opportunity to go to court and explain to a judge why you should not be allowed to move.

If you are planning on moving with a child, you should get legal advice.  Philadelphia Legal Assistance provides legal advice regarding custody law.

How to get help with Relocation

The following departments at PLA provide legal assistance with Relocation:

Intake Procedure:

Call the Family Law Intake Line at 215.981.3838 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday between the hours of 09:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.  Callers are not able to leave a message.  The Family Law Intake Line may be closed early if call volume is high.

We recommend calling at least three weeks before your court date before a Master and at least six weeks before your hearing before a Judge.

PLA's Family Law Intake Line does not accept applications for assistance with divorce, child support, or spousal support.

Assistance for immigrant women who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault is available from PLA's Immigrant Women's Legal Assistance Hotline, which assists callers with legal problems including divorce, custody, child/spousal support, protection from abuse, and immigration.  Speakers of languages other than English and Spanish may leave a message with the Immigrant Women's Legal Assistance Hotline by calling 215.981.3838 at any time.

Self-Help Resources

Notice of Relocation

On this web site, you can create a Notice of Relocation and the other paperwork you will need to go through the relocation process in Family Court.

Planning for Custody and Care of Children: an Informational Guide for Immigrant Families

This guide is intended to give basic information under Pennsylvania law about custody of children and how to plan for and or deal with a change in circumstances due to a parent’s sudden or expected absence or inability to care for her/his children.  Available in Spanish.