Youth Justice: Expungements

Expungement means that your juvenile record is erased and no one can see it. If you want to ask the court for an expungement, you have to file a motion.

Juvenile records can be expunged if:

  • The charges against you were withdrawn or dismissed, or you were found “not guilty.”
  • SIX MONTHS have passed since supervision has ended under a “consent decree” and no new charges are pending.
  • You were adjudicated delinquent and FIVE YEARS have passed since release from supervision with no new adjudications or adult convictions.
  • You are 18 or older and the District Attorney agrees that your record should be expunged.

* Certain offenses, such as sex offenses, cannot be expunged.

How to file for expungement:

In Philadelphia, you can file a petition to expunge a juvenile record by going to the 11th floor of family court at 1501 Arch St.

When you are 18 or older and you are arrested, charges are brought in adult court. Depending on what happens in court, you MAY be able to get the charges expunged.

Are juvenile records available to the public?

If you were 14 or older at the time, and you were adjudicated delinquent of a felony offense, that information CAN be made public.

If you were 12 or 13 at the time, and you were adjudicated delinquent of certain serious felony offenses, that information CAN be made public.

Other types of juvenile records are generally NOT available to the public.

You can get a copy of your own juvenile record at family court.