General Intake Unit

The General Intake Unit provides legal advice and referrals to clients with a wide variety of legal problems.

Practice Areas: Adoption   Guardianship   Miscellaneous Legal Problems   Bankruptcy   Debt Collection   Driver's Licenses & Birth Certificates   Earned Income Tax Credit   Lawsuits   Name Change   Non-Federal Taxes   Probate, Wills & Estates

Intake Procedure:

Applicants may apply for assistance from the General Intake Unit by coming to walk-in intake, calling the telephone intake line, or applying online.

Eligibility Requirements:

Applicant must be LSC eligible and a resident of Philadelphia.

Funded By: Legal Services Corporation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I start a case in small claims court?

You can bring a lawsuit for less than $12,000 in Small Claims Court, which is part of the Philadelphia Municipal Court.
The court cannot hear a case against a commonwealth party such as SEPTA. The court also cannot order a party to do something, such as return property or make repairs.


Richard Friedman - Attorney

Richard Friedman is the Director of Intake and Service Delivery at PLA.  He supervises the General Intake Unit.

Betty Green - Paralegal
Natashia Mitchell - Paralegal