Philadelphia Legal Assistance
42 South 15th Street, Suite 500
Philadelphia, PA. 19102
Attorneys and paralegals in the Public Benefits Unit assist clients with problems regarding income benefits provided by our state and federal governments.
1. Benefits administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare
We help clients who are having problems relating to the following benefits:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) - Cash assistance for parents and children
- Medical Assistance (Medicaid) - Health insurance coverage
- Food stamps (SNAP)
- Subsidized child care
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
2. Unemployment compensation
Our main work in unemployment compensation is giving advice to clients with hearings before a referee when they have appealed a denial of benefits by the UC Service Center or when their former employer has appealed a favorable decision. We will represent a client at the hearing if we can. We will also evaluate clients’ claims for possible representation for further appeals after the referee has issued a decision. We will also advise clients and possibly provide further representation in cases involving overpayments.
3. Benefits administered by the Social Security Administration
Clients with problems concerning any benefit from the Social Security Administration are encouraged first to contact Community Legal Services at 1424 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, 19102 (215-981-3800) or at 3638 N. Broad Street (215-227-2400) for intake. The Chestnut Street CLS office in turn refers roughly half of the clients with these problems to our unit.
When a client has appealed a denial by Social Security of a claim for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) disability benefits, we will evaluate the claim for possible representation at the hearing before an Administrative Law Judge.
We also provide help for clients with non-disability problems with Social Security benefits, such as:
- Income and resource issues regarding SSI benefits
- Overpayments and other problems with any Social Security benefits
- Medicare problems